|This is the cabbage, red to purple colored leaves|
I am not sure if Filipino buy this cabbage or only foreigners, anyway I have never seen anyone buying this kind of cabbage.
Being a foreigner with a Dutch background, I am one of the few who, now and then, will buy a red cabbage or in Dutch "Rode Kool".
The following description is from Wikipedia:
Yesterday I made it again. Here is the recipe that I used.
|Cabbage cut, spices prepared, onion is optional|
- 1 small red cabbage (good for 2 persons)
- 2 large teaspoons sugar (brown sugar preferred)
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1-2 apples (sour)
- 2 table spoons vinegar
- 1/2-3/4 table spoon cinnamon powder
- 1 quarter of a liter water
- 2 tea spoons salt
- option: cornstarch
|Apple cubes stirred in cinnamon and potato's peeled|
Preparing (40-50 minutes):
- Cut the red cabbage in 4 parts and remove from each part the inner white stump.
- Cut the quarters in thin slices and cut the slices again.
- Put the cabbage in a high cooking pan and add the water, cloves, bay leaves, salt and some pepper.
- Heat the pan until the water is cooking then reduce the heat such that it is just cooking.
- Cut the apples in quarters and remove the cores, then cut the parts in small cubes.
- Put the apple cubes in a bowl and add the cinnamon powder and vinegar, stir it.
- Add the apples and vinegar to the pan when the water is cooking.
- Let it all cook for 30-40 minutes, drain the water in a bowl.
- If you like you can add some cornstarch to make it creamy, use some of the water that you drained.
ServingServe the cabbage with potato's and meat or sausage roasted in unsalted butter.
Use the butter juice to make a gravy sauce by adding some cornstarch and some seasoning as you like.
Use the gravy to make the potato's less dry.