Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Rat Pest Nuisance

Courtesy Wikipedia
As we live in a rural area, there are many rats here, at least I guess more than in residential areas, although many rats love residential areas as there are usually more food residues to find. So maybe it does not matter where you live.

Since we live here for five years, I had four to five times a rat nuisance. I will share them with you.

Last week I had a problem again with a rat, this time she built a nest in my drill press. And it's not the first time in this machine. In 2015 I also removed a nest with 5 or so pups. 

Before I continue with our experiences, I show you a copy of Wikipedia on this animal.

Rats are various medium-sized, long-tailed rodents of the superfamily Muroidea. "True rats" are members of the genus Rattus, the most important of which to humans are the black rat, Rattus rattus, and the brown rat, Rattus norvegicus. Wikipedia
Scientific nameRattusRankGenusHigher classificationMurinaeLifespanBrown rat: 2 years, Black rat: 12 monthsGestation periodBrown rat: 21 days, Polynesian rat: 21 – 24 daysMassBrown rat: 230 g, Black rat: 110 – 340 g
Apart from that she made a nest with all kind of items, most plastic that she found in our bodega, she also cut the V-belt of the machine in 2015. This time she started to destroy the belt, but didn't finish the job, as I killed her.

Here are some pictures.

Pulley house closed
Pulley house opened, you see the plastic nest




Two pups at one side and ...

... two pups at the other side, notice the cuts in the belt
As I was outraged that she used again the drill press, I decided to try the poison that I purchased last year. It worked, a couple of days later I found her dead. Finding a dead rat is not always easy, but if you follow the smell track (smells like urine) sooner or later you will find the body. Also have a look at the ants tracks, they are the ones to destroy the body. The pups I had removed already and destroyed.

Other confrontations and consequential damages that I had with rats were the following:
  • A nest built in the air-con of my new car, two times in a period of less than a year. After the second time I closed the entrance opening with a metal screen, since then no more problems. This cost me more than 10.000 pesos.
  • The cable from the parking sensors of my car was cut on several places. The cable and sensors had to be replaced, costs more than 10.000 pesos.
  • A nest I found recently in the belt-saw machine, including a dead rat, had no consequential damages, but a lot of nuisance.
  • Some more years ago I heard running rats or mice in the attic (second floor ceiling) occasionally and it seemed that some computer (LAN) cables were cut. I never found the rats or mice (we put poison and traps), but put all cables in conduits (computer, CCTV and Satellite cables). Costs were more than 10.000 pesos.
  • Over the years I found many times a cable that I had preserved for later use, but was damaged or cut by rats and had to be repaired or could be put in the garbage bin.

Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *