Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Windows 10 for free or go back to Windows 7?


Image result for windows 7 8 10 logo

A couple of weeks ago I got an invitation from Microsoft, each time after restarting my computer, to upgrade my desktop computer to Windows 10 for free.

My laptop with also Windows 7, was not invited, so I guess the hardware is not compatible with Windows 10 requirements.

This week I decided to give Windows 10 a try.

The upgrade didn't go perfect. After an hour or so I got the message:
"It's taking a bit longer than usual, but it should be ready soon". Don't turn off your PC.
Meanwhile the hard-drives kept on spinning, but no idea what was going on.  Then finally the screen went black and no sign of life, even when mouse or keyboard were activated.

After three hours I decided to stop and switched the computer off and on again. After a couple of minutes starting up, I got a nice screen photo with a view from inside a cave to the beach. So that was at least something. Next was the login with the windows 7 ID and password. It worked fine.

Then before I could do anything I got the following message:
"Just a few more tweaks". Don't turn off your PC. 
Again after ca. 10 minutes the following message was displayed:
"It's taking a bit longer than usual, but it should be ready soon". Don't turn off your PC.
Again ca. 10 minutes later, I got finally the Windows 10 screen and could start going around and have my first Windows 10 experiences.



Most of the screen looked like that of Windows 7. Same layout, colors a bit changed and some of the pictographs in the task-bar and system-tray at the bottom of the screen, but not all. I guess that the system-tray icons are replaced by the Apps label in the start screen, but maybe elsewhere in the underground of Windows 10.

I didn't try everything like Cortana, the Microsoft assistant, as I don't like that kind of gadgets, I even have no microphone on my desktop, so I cannot talk to her anyway.

Also I didn't try the email options, it seems Windows 10 understands and supports email systems of other platforms like Google, Yahoo and Apple, because I don't know what is done under the surface. I want to be in control and don't give it away to Windows 10.

The same goes for OneNote and OneDrive, as I didn't use it before, I don't know what the impact is. Same goes for the Windows 10 calendar app, may be it clashes with my Google calendar. I had already a clash with Viber recently on my Google/Android contacts. Because of a misunderstanding from me I deleted the contacts in Viber, that I surely wouldn't use, but it turned out that I was deleting also the contacts in my Google account. The lesson I learned was that if you don't understand how the app or system is working, then be very careful in what you are doing.

Also I am reluctant to open a Microsoft account, as was requested several times when I opened an App. I really don't know yet what the impact is on my Google accounts, and I am not happy to maintain two accounts, one is more than enough.

Another concern was that my laptop was apparently not fit for the upgrade to Windows 10, so I would end-up with two different Windows versions, not a preferred home-office environment.

The new browser Edge was a refreshing encounter. Fast, clean, not too many options as you see in browsers like Chrome, IE and Firefox. Not ideal yet, but I guess with some updates and enhancements the coming months, it might be a real competitor for the old browsers.

The Startmenu seems to be a combination of Windows 7 and 8. Of course I recognized Windows 7, but never used Windows 8, I always avoided it as I didn't really understood what the reasoning behind it was.

It seems however that the way it was transferred from Windows 8 to 10 was a real improvement. I didn't had that experience as a lot of mini-windows opened up with information I was not interested in, so I removed these mini-windows, like the weather in Washington, while I am living in the Philippines, or a kind of slide show of pictures of my own picture folders, I didn't ask for it.

In the end only a few mini-windows were still there, all the rest gone.

What I learned from my upgrade exercise was that if it is a major upgrade like this one, you better study all the options, functionalities, changes, etc. before you upgrade. And make a list of what you like and want to try and experience and what not to do/use yet, as to give yourself time to evaluate new/changed functionalities and apps before deciding to use them and to replace what you used before and investigate the impact on other supplier solutions, like in my case Google and Android.

It seems that there are some interesting apps available, like the Photo app, and much more to come the coming months and years.

Be aware that the Windows Media Manager is not existing under Windows 10.

I will watch out for new and improved apps, but keep my current solution (PLEX) for my movies DB and iTunes for my music, or maybe even move it to PLEX.

After a couple of days trying and experiencing Windows 10 and a bit angry and confused, because I didn't know what to do with so many options/functionalities and not understanding what it could bring to me and the impact on my currently stable office computers I am satisfied with, I decided to revert back to Windows 7, as to protect myself of doing things I would later regret,

You should know that if you have similar concerns as I have, if you want to make use of Microsoft's offer to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, this offer for a free upgrade is valid until July 29, 2016. So plenty of time to prepare and to decide if you want to do it.

I will use this period to re-evaluate what I have done so far, study the many available evaluation reports available on the internet and get a better understanding of Windows 10 and the impact on my current way of working.

I guess in a couple of months to maybe 6 months I will be ready to do my definite upgrade to Windows 10, maybe including my lap-top after necessary hardware upgrades.

If you are interested in an extensive Windows 10 review, I recommend the reviews on the following site:

TechRadar



Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *