Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Globe WiMAX modem replaced with LTE modem

The new LTE modem
Two weeks ago Globe came to us to replace our WiMAX modem with a LTE modem, both are produced by Huawei from China.

No advance message, they just sent their subcontractors to Globe WiMAX clients, with a half-A4 paper explanatory note that the replacement is for free and the supported speed will double without changing the contracted plan.
The old WiMAX modem


Note: The ladder they brought was too short to reach the roof for replacing the antenna, so they went home again, but the next day they came again with the same ladder. So I had to teach them a trick to climb on the roof for replacing the antenna.

Both WiMAX and LTE Advanced are officially defined as "True 4G" technologies by ITU. It doesn't mean that they are similar.

WiMAX is coming from the WiFi technology area and mainly used for wireless broadband connections, in our case in a rural area, so when a fixed line DSL modem is not possible.

LTE is coming from cellular phone technology (GSM) and developed by the mobile phone industry.

It's interesting to have a look at the evolution of digital cellular and WiFi standards, see the graph below.



Evolution of digital cellular and WiFi standards,
courtesy: electronicdesign.com

So now the question is why Globe changes from WiMAX to LTE for broadband wireless connections?
This is what Globe says on its website:
We have previously launched WiMAX, the first and biggest 4G network in the country. With our upgraded network in place, we will boost our systems for HSPA in the coming months, providing yet another 4G technology for our customers. The same upgrade also enables us to adapt to LTE as more and more devices become available for its use.
I guess that the LTE technology is much more close to their core mobile business than WiMAX. 
By the way I heard before, from a Globe service center guy, that WiMAX was not operated by Globe, but by a subcontracted company. One more reason for them to take over control.

Now after a couple of weeks using the new LTE modem, I am quite satisfied. The modem (official type name: Huawei B593s-22 4G LTE Router) has also a WiFi interface, so I have now a second WiFi channel, next to the old Linksys router WRT54G. However, the old WRT54G has a larger reach then the LTE router.

The antenna for the LTE modem has a duo coaxial cable. So I couldn't use the pipe that I installed previously for the antenna cable. Luckily the pipe for the CCTV cables was big enough to allow me to put these two cables as well.

Configuring the LTE modem is quite easy and straightforward. I could do this in a way that I hadn't to reconfigure the WRT54G router. Should you want to know how the routers are configured to operate together including the use of DHCP, you can use the Contact tab on this site to send a request message. By the way the password for the LTE router is: "@l03e1t5".

As I have no data on the actual speed of the WiMAX modem I cannot confirm that the speed has been doubled with the LTE modem, but it seems to be a bit better now.

One problem remains. I cannot access my home network from abroad. If I use a port checking program, it says that it cannot contact my router. So even switching off the Windows firewall doesn't help to solve this. I guess I have to contact Globe again to ask them if they are willing to open up a number of ports for me to enable me to access my CCTV camera's and more from a remote location.

Anyone has experience with Globe regarding this matter? If so, please comment or contact me directly.





Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *