Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Importing a gift into the Philippines

New Blue LED Tachometer R...
Actually my display is red
For one of my projects - see this blog-post - I wanted to install a RPM (revolutions per minute) display, also called a tacho-meter.

There are simple to install and cheap solutions in the market these days, so I decided to buy 4 pieces at once, as to have some spares for other projects I am intending to do later.

On eBay I found an offer from someone in China for 647.50 pesos each. The ad said it was including shipping cost for delivery at home. So I ordered 4 pieces on July 6, 2014 for a total price of 2,589.98 pesos.



Shipping was done by Singapore mail. So I expected that it would be the same procedure as I had experienced with the previous shipment from the US for my swimming pool, see this blog-post.

However, I didn't want to go to Manila again to get this shipment released asap, as I was not in a hurry. So I decided to wait for a letter from the mail exchange center in Manila, for a request to pay import duties and tax.

I was surprised to finally got the package on August 22 and at no customs cost at all. So studying the Customs Declaration Card learned me that the sender had chosen to send it as a Gift with a value of 10 $. I guess it should be read as SG$, which is 350 pesos.

In the "Quantity and detailed description" field he had put "RAM" and NO quantity. My understanding of RAM is a memory chip, so I don't see the relation with the product I bought. But, anyway Customs did approve it as a gift, in which case there is no duty and tax required. So maybe a hint for anyone who wants to import items without additional customs cost.



Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *