Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Saturday, May 19, 2012

De Vliegende Hollander, Monday 7 May 1945

Side 1

Today I was scanning some old study books of my deceased father on aircraft technology before WWII. He was studying aircraft mechanics during the war. In one of the books I found already last year a handwritten religious poem of my father, this time I found a one page two-sided newspaper in A4 format, called "DE VLIEGENDE HOLLANDER", or in English: " The Flying Dutchman".

The newspaper was issued by the Allied Forces fighting against Germany and dated May 7, 1945. As the newspaper was meant for Dutch people in the Netherlands it is written in Dutch. I am sorry for not having an English translation.
Main articles are the surrender of the German armies in North West Germany and Denmark to Field Marshal Montgomery (Monty) on the Luneburger Heide in Germany and the surrender in the Netherlands of the German armies by Field Marshal Blaskowitz to General Foulkes in hotel "De Wereld" in Wageningen, with Prins Bernhard present and acting as representative for the Netherlands.

I am sure this newspaper will be somewhere in a museum in the Netherlands, but as I have here an original paper in very good condition, I wanted to share it on my blog with anyone interested in WWII history.





Side 1

Side 2


Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *