Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Brussels Sprouts (spruiten)


Because my friends here in the Philippines don't know what sprouts (English) or spruitjes (Dutch) are and I mentioned them in one of my previous posts, I want to introduce them to you now.

My asawa brought them here a few weeks ago when she returned from France. We have enjoyed them two times the last week.

Sprouts are little green cabbages (plural) with a very special taste. It is a winter vegetable, so you can buy them only outside the summer season in Europe.

We usually cook them (first clean them like you do with an onion, so peel off the dirty skin) for 20 minutes with a bit of salt. Then they are becoming soft and when you serve them, season them with nutmeg powder or fresh grated nutmeg.



Serve the sprouts with cooked potatoes and meatballs or pork chopped steak.  If you like to serve them with wine, choose a heavy red wine. Enjoy your meal.




The rasp right side is for making fresh nutmeg seasoning

The potatoes should be seasoned with meatball juice

Serve a heavy red wine

Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *