Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Locomotive DB 64416

The German train company "Deutsche Reichsbahn" (today called Deutsche Bundesbahn or Deutsche Bahn or DB) has developed and built steam powered locomotives since the twenties in the last century.

These series of locomotions are numbered starting with series 01 in 1925. Series number 64 was built first in 1928 until 1940. A total of 520 locomotives are built until 1945. But ten years ago, when my father built one as a model train, scale 1:11, there are now built 521 locomotives :-) of this series.

Since he passed away 2 years ago (see my blogs "Arie" and "Pa thanks for all")  just before we would emigrate to the Philippines, my mother allowed me to bring one of his locomotives to the Philippines, just as a remembrance, I have searched for some info and background on this locomotive. I want to share it with my family and other interested readers.

The model my father made has the number DB64416, I couldn't find any historical facts, like the owner and operations area, of this locomotive number. What I do know is that there is only one locomotive from this series left in the Netherlands (owner Veluwse Stoomtrein Maatschappij), it has the number DB64415. It was taken out of service in 1974. 

I am sure my father had seen this one driving around as a museum locomotive in the Netherlands. Perhaps he thought to add 1 to that number, as to make it feel Dutch. On the detail plans he used to make all parts and assemble the train, which I also got with the model, the number used is DB64340, so he didn't copy the number from the plan.

Here is a section plan of the locomotive. It's a 1'C1' construction as you can see. The 1' are the free running front and aft axises, the C are the 3 axises in the middle which are powered by the steam engine.

This locomotive was the first one he made. Before this one he made some smaller free standing steam engines, probably as an exercise before starting this big project. I don't remember how long it took him to complete the project, but I believe it was 2 to 3 years.

After this locomotive he made another one, even bigger and with a tender. That model is still with my mother, it is her remembrance. In the pictures below, you see my father while he is in the "Model Railroad Club" in Enschede Netherlands called "Modelbouw Vereniging Twente", playing with the big model by driving the children around 

 

For those people who are still interested in this subject I have an interesting video below, of a series DB 64 driving around in Germany.





Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *