Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Friday, August 5, 2011

House blessing


Last week Saturday (30/7) we had a blessing and praying party to celebrate the fact that our house is finished and we officially moved into the new house.

The night before an old couple, the previous owners of our property, slept in the house according to local tradition. At 4 a.m. the next morning we arrived to settle in and waited for the old people to wake up.
We prepared breakfast - toast and fried eggs with orange juice and fruits - for the four of us. For them it was as if they stayed in a hotel. They never experienced such an occasion as this one.



The previous owners of the land and my asawa and me
The party was for previous neighbors and family, with a praying session as the most important part for us, but for most of the guests it was the food. The prayer session was scheduled for 2 p.m.

My brother in law's family from San Carlos City

Waiting for the food

A family/neighbor from Primicias arriving
Mama Boy, the husband of the sister of my mother in law, was the chief cook. He had some helpers, to prepare all the food.

Helpers and ....

...the chief cook



Later I heard that some of the guests loaded plastic bags with food and went home with their tricycle to eat the food there with their relatives in stead of enjoying the food with us.

The cakes and candies for the after party


Posing before ....
... I cut one of the cakes
Meanwhile we started the praying session with the praying ladies. When the praying was finished we went through the house visited all rooms which baptized by them, while we followed, with a candle in our hands.

We enter the house with each an enlighted candle ...

... put the candles on the altar ...

... and the ladies behind us start their prayers

All rooms are visited and baptized
After the praying session and crossing all the rooms for baptizing, my asawa broke a piggy back pot with saved coins, to throw them over the crowd down from the stairs. It has to do with luck for the people and the owners of the house.



We allowed our workers to join the party as of 4 p.m. so one hour less to work today.



At 4.30 p.m. our relative and architect / building engineer arrived with his wife and daughter. We set together for a while, enjoying wine and cake and when most guests were gone, we joined the workers. As I explained in a previous blog, the workers are usually working for him, but now for me, so he knew them very well.


While drinking and eating they enjoyed the karaoke, as we rented a karaoke machine (here called a videoke), and they had a lot of fun, singing together with their engineer/boss. As a matter of fact I don't like singing, so I only joined the drinking part.


Ladies table when most guests have left

Carlos the painter is also a good singer

My engineer with his and my boys

Nelo the mason chooses a karaoke song

The party lasted until the night
That night we slept for the first time in our new house and it was a big relieve to have left the old family house, where it is always noisy and where we lived for almost a year with my sister in law and daughter.

Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *