Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Friday, December 24, 2010

Theft

Christmas party with our renewed team of workers and guards
Two weeks ago some people reported to me that one, but probably more, of the workers are steeling materials from us, while pretending to work. It was the group around the steel-man. This group is responsible for cutting, bending and fixing the reinforcing steel bars for the foundation columns and beams. Be aware that steel is a valuable material and when cut in pieces, it is easy to bring home a few kilo per day. So that is what the cutter did, in stead of working for us, cutting for himself.

After reporting to and consulting with the building company from whom I hire the workers, the people were immediately removed from the construction area, and punishment arranged by the company.

A team of 5 new workers were added the next day. A few days since it was quite silent, the workers were really impressed and I believe that it was an important message to all workers.

Last week I was again confronted by, this time potential, theft. In the middle of the night (2 am) I was called by the guard that 4 men were seen around our property with a clear intention to try to steel materials or worse. So we rushed to the site by car, with a lot of noise. We didn't see them, of course they were flown already. We decided to sleep there as well for the rest of the night.

A measure taken since last week is that we have now 2 extra guards, in total 5, such that at all times (nights) we have 3 guards on the site.

When we had our Christmas party yesterday, I got several comments saying that I am a good boss. Mind you they have a lot of freedom, within limits, now and then we organize a party and salaries are above the free market price.

So for the group of thieves this will not be a happy Christmas, but for the rest of the team it will be and they may expect a good New Year as I will hire them at least for some more months.


Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *