Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Saturday, October 2, 2010

John Grisham


Since I read for the first time a book of John Grisham, early September this year, I bought another one just after I finished reading.
And now I have become really addicted to his legal thrillers, as you can see in my book index, which is still expanding.

Last week I bought again 6 books of him and I am sure in 2 or 3 months I will again buy the remaining books, as far as available in my bookstore in Dagupan, however other priorities the coming weeks will slow down my reading pace.

Interesting for me as a European reader is, apart from the plot, to get a better understanding of the US legal system, which is really one of a kind, even it is derived from British law.

Although I have no legal background, I do understand that it is much more complicated than at least the Dutch legal system.

Interesting as well is the educational aspect of the law system. In the US system you have the law school and the bar-exam to become a certified lawyer, while we have in the Netherlands a system based on a scientific education and next practicing and certifying in e.g. a law firm. Similar differences are with medical education.

An additional advantage of digging into US law system is that it helps me to understand the Philippines law system, which is quite close to the US, although in the Philippines there is no federal law system of course and religion plays a more important role than in the US law system.


Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *