Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Monday, July 19, 2010

Normandy, 6 June 1944


We are now in Niort in a F1 hotel preparing for a couple of visits tomorrow of vacant houses in the Vendee, France.

I decided last week to visit Normandy first and especially the remainders and remembrance places of the largest invasion ever, the beginning of operation "Overlord" and usually called D-day.

As there is so much info on the Web and available historical books - I recently read a diary of a sea man who was involved, see my book index - I will not repeat the story here, but show a few pictures taken, which were my personal high lights.




Famous poem used to activate French underground.


Remainders of the temporary sea-port made of
sunken ships and/or prepared containers 
Part of the US war cemetery, they really take care
of their fallen citizens, it is an impressive site. 



We have much more pictures, but my advise is to see it yourself if you are interested. Unfortunately one day was not enough to see all interesting places. We had to move on to Niort - 3 hours to go - and skipped the visit to St. Mere Eglise, where the para troupers made their unfortunate droppings.

Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *