Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ash disposing


As we will soon leave the Netherlands to start a new live abroad, we decided to plan the "ash disposal" of the cremation remains of my father before departure. The date scheduled was today.

In agreement with my mother, we decided for a simple ceremony, just as my father would have selected. So no permanent sign at the cemetery.

When we, my mother, sister, brother in law and my wife, arrived at the crematorium, we were invited by an employee of the crematorium. After a coffee break he explained the procedure and options you could choose from. Just for the record, the cremation number was 89870. This sign, made of ceramic, is the only physical remembrance my mother took home.


As decided already, we choose a simple ash disposal procedure on the field called: Taxus, at the boundary of the crematorium. A lovely field, it was a nice sunny day, with a big pond and wooden bridge, many colors of all the fresh flowers deposited on the field the last days.

We decided to let the ash dispersed in a circle on a clean part of the green field. First i made a half circle, then my sister the other half and finally my mother a full circle. It is much more ash than I expected.

It was a short, but important and emotional ceremony, which I will never forget.

Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *