Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Saturday, August 8, 2009

"Google speaks"


A couple of weeks ago, when I went to the Philippines, I bought a book at the airport Suvarnabuhmi, titled: "Google speaks", written by Janet Lowe.

I was interested already some time in the company Google, so an opportunity to get a better understanding, and I would have ample time to read during my visit to the Philippines.

Since some time I use several products of this company and for free (browser (Chrome), mail (Gmail), Blogger,Google earth and map), but even more important, they are good products, well designed and rich of functionality. I like them much more than Microsoft's products, especially since Microsoft started with their Live products.

The book gives an insight view in how the company started, about the two guys Larry Page and Sergey Brin who started the company some 12 years ago, where it all started in Stanford University, where other IT companies started as well, the business model and strategy, policy, privacy problems, and many many more.


Even when you are not in IT, but interested in recent business miracles, you should read this book. A quote from the cover:

"Sergey Brin and Larry Page, transformed their vision of a better search engine into a business colossus with about $16 billion annual revenue. ... how they both live fairly modest lives, despite having a net worth in excess of $ 15,9 billion ... how they have created a culture that fosters fun while, at the same time, keeping Google at the forefront of technology through relentless R&D investments and imaginative partnerships with organizations such as NASA."

As I am going again to the Philippines tomorrow, I will buy another biography of this author, or may be the story of Bill Gates' father, seems interesting as well.


Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *