Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sarah


When I was waiting July 4 at Schiphol airport for the gate to be opened for my flight to Bangkok, I looked around in one of the bookstores and found a best seller titled: "Haar naam was Sarah" a dutch translation of the original title: "Sarah's key".

As the cover told me that it was about the holocaust in 2nd worldwar in France, I was interested. I read a lot about this period in history, remember I was born just after the war, but was not familiar with what happened in France those years.

And indeed what was said by several criticasters, "you can't stop reading" or "very emotional, you can't keep your eyes dry", is really true, it happened to me.

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel’ d’Hiv’ roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.
Paris, May 2002: On Vel’ d’Hiv’s 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Julia finds herself compelled to retrace the girl's ordeal, from that terrible term in the Vel d'Hiv', to the camps, and beyond. As she probes into Sarah's past, she begins to question her own place in France, and to reevaluate her marriage and her life.
Tatiana de Rosnay offers us a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround this painful episode.

Source: readinggroupguides



I started reading 2 or 3 chapters on Friday evening and then Saturday morning at the swimming pool continued reading. By the time it was getting dark I had still 25 pages to go. After having a break for shopping and a dinner, I started again 8 pm and read the last part. Just to get rid of my emotions I had to do something, so started quite late that evening writing my 2 blogs on Greece.

LK

Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *