Quote

“I'd rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not.”
― Lucille Ball

Monday, June 8, 2009

Jasmin Tower Office


Almost every day I go to my office from Bangkok north to Nonthaburi. It's a 12 kilometers ride. If there is no traffic congestion, it takes about 15 minutes. It costs me 100 baht, so 2 euro. Usually in the morning there is not a lot of congestion, but in the evening there is, especially when there is flooding from the heavy tropical rains.

The office is in the Jasmin tower, close to the new mall @ Pakkret road, opened last year. If the air is clean, which is an exception, you can see the Bangkok downtown skyline very well.

The floor is shared with another company, we are in the upper half of the 31 storey building. The office is not very specific, just as everywhere in the world. However, what is different from my office in Europe, is that here I guess 50% is female, in Europe maybe 10%. I am talking now about the IT industry, in other industry area's it might be different.

And when I say female, it's really female. How they dress, walk and behave. They are much more fashion oriented than in any other country I have been, in Asia, in Europe as well as the America's. Although I think the Philippines comes close. Also in the office in Cabuyao, Laguna, where I've been several times, they know how to dress but not like in Bangkok, and amazingly also in that office the female population is about 50% maybe even higher.



Most staff comes in in the morning between 9 and 10 a.m. But most of them do not leave before 6 p.m. Time recording system is not used, all is based on trust, just as in our European offices. Usually I am early, like 8 a.m. and leave 6 or 7 p.m. Sometimes I work first in my apartment and then go to the office.

At noon almost everyone disappears, in 15 minutes the office is empty, perhaps one or two persons stay. All the rest goes down, to the food court. This is a phenomenon you see everywhere in Bangkok. Just outside the building is a big court, open but with a roof against the son and rain, along all sites are small food shops where they prepare the food or drinks, you order what you like and for 30-35 baht, less than a euro, you have your lunch. There are also many small shops where you can buy shoes, cloths, DVDs, etc.

Once I ordered a DVD. The guy called someone and after 5 minutes the DVD was brought in, including a colored cover. All illegal of course for 100 baht, made to order. The quality was very poor, so will not do that again.

After lunch back to the office. Within an hour the whole food court is empty. All small businesses are gone and will return in the morning the next day.

Printfriendly

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *